Tuesday, April 13, 2010

This week's Bajanism - Flim

Pronounciation: \ˈflɪm\

Etymology: Barbados

Definition:

1.
a. A thin sheet or strip of flexible material, such as a cellulose derivative or a thermoplastic resin, coated with a photosensitive emulsion and used to make photographic negatives or transparencies.
b. A thin sheet or strip of developed photographic negatives or transparencies.
2.
a. A movie.
b. Movies considered as a group.


Editor's note: The usage of the word 'flim' in bajan culture is one has always managed to escape me. I've never understood it's derivation from the original word 'film' and I can vividly remember pointing out to people, "Look, see! it's spelt F-I-L-M", to no avail. Strangely enough, it's used exclusively in reference to those definitions above and not extended to other items that are covered by film e.g. membranes, thin layers etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm all for freedom of expression and shit, so there's only one rule here and, that is, perchance you do know who I am, kindly refrain from using my real name or your comment will be removed